If your lorry breaks down, think of safety and security, initially: Here's a simple safety overview from GEM Motoring Assist, the leading UK driver based roadway safety association.
Consider your very own safety
- get your car off the roadway ideally
- guarantee your passengers are risk-free which animals are maintained under control.
Warn various other roadway individuals
- advise various other traffic by utilizing your threat warning lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction
- put a caution triangle on the road at the very least 45 metres (147 feet) behind your damaged down lorry on the very same side of the roadway, or make use of various other permitted warning tools if you have them. Constantly take great treatment when putting them, but never use them on motorways as this may put you at risk from oncoming traffic
- keep your sidelights on if it is dark or presence is inadequate
- do not stand (or allow any person else stand) between your car and also approaching traffic
- in the evening or in poor presence do not stand where you will certainly avoid other roadway individuals seeing your lights
- wear a reflective/fluorescent coat or tabard.
Calling for assistance
- do not make use of smart phones if there is a risk from gas spillage or fumes
- get in touch with the emergency situation solutions by dialing 999 or 112 (brand-new worldwide emergency situation code), or if you are a member call GEM Motoring Assist Breakdown Cover or various other failure organisation
- give clear directions of your general area: road number, direction of traveling as well as particular regional sites will assist your rescue
- additionally inform them your vehicle kind and also colour, enrollment number as well as the amount of individuals remain in the automobile
- an indication of the source of the break down will certainly also assist
- when help shows up, request proof of identification.
On Motorways-- safety and security first
Leave the motorway at the closest exit or draw into a solution area. When this is not possible:
- utilize your signs or danger caution lights and draw on to the tough shoulder. Quit as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the
- attempt to stop near an emergency telephone (every mile on the difficult shoulder) with the front guest door as close to the phone as possible
- you should leave the automobile by the left-hand passenger doors
- wear a reflective/fluorescent jacket or tabard
- do not cross the carriageway to reach a better phone it is much safer to wait on the verge. (Remember, 10% of motorway crashes are crashes with vehicles parked on the difficult shoulder.).
- do not leave the type in the cars and truck. Ideally, lock all the doors other than the front traveler door, which you must leave completely open so you can obtain back in promptly if demands be.
- keep travelers far from the carriageway and also children under control. Make certain youngsters are secure-- do not leave them in the auto on their own.
- if you are a elderly or impaired individual, or have little kids with you, you might choose it is much more sensible to stay in the vehicle. Park it as close to the brink as possible if so.
- you must leave pets in the automobile, with windows only much enough down to allow in air. Just let them out of the vehicle in an emergency situation, yet keep them under proper control on the edge.
- do not try even simple repair work and also do not leave the automobile hood open.
On Motorways-- getting help.
- stroll to the nearby emergency telephone, adhering to the arrows on the marker articles every 100 metres at the back of the tough shoulder. Phone calls are totally free and also link straight to the Police - they will know where you are. Guarantee the phone and look out for passing traffic, or anybody approaching you.
- offer full information, likewise educate them if you feel at risk. Tell them the variety of your breakdown organisation, your auto registration as well as the number shown on the closest pen message.
- return and also wait near your vehicle, preferably behind the obstacle on the motorway embankment.
- when assistance gets here, ask for ID as well as examine that the breakdown person understands your name.
- NEVER obtain into an automobile with an unfamiliar person or try to hitch a lift.
- if somebody supplies help, stay inside your cars and truck with the doors secured (keep windows partially open) as well as inquire to phone your malfunction organisation for you.
- if a car stops while you are awaiting help as well as you worry, remain in the traveler seat of your cars and truck and also here lock the door. Phone the Police and provide the automobile's enrollment number.
- when rejoining the freeway, constantly boost rate on the difficult shoulder and also look for a risk-free space in the traffic.